I've got a Secret...

Dear Victoria - I’ve got a secret,
I recently received a lovely gift certificate for Victoria’s Secret. Retail therapy works for me. What woman does not want to feel beautiful? One assumes that your stores’ intention is to make skivvies more than a necessity, but a delight. I enjoy soft, silky materials. Colors appeal to my senses and make me happier than the classic standard of beige and white undies. So I do appreciate the duty you have of helping women put on their sexy pants while putting a little va-voom in relationships. However, I was taken aback the moment I discovered that you don’t have extra large. Large, according to your sales clerk was sizes 12-14, and it was, “sure to fit me.” I sashayed around noticing that most of the larges were quickly taken up and what was left were extra small, small and medium. I dared to wonder “who is an extra small, these garments are for grown folks, right?”
Here’s my secret, Victoria. The average size of a woman is 14. Now, this is not a new concept. Perhaps, your buyers live on the social media wave that has hit this planet than can hi-def, and enhance all that we see. It’s rare that a woman is displayed as anything less than perfect in your ads, God bless them but…I live in the real world. Down here - if we would put the electronics down, we see people with unfiltered skin. I love studying societal issues and wish I could give you a documented resource that could confirm the average sizes of women. Nonetheless, look around. No, I mean really look at the people around you.
Ladies are the sugar and spice of life and should be revered and respected. I relish the idea that we are far deeper than we appear. It begins with acceptance and gratitude for the bodies we have. Women are the child bearing, life givers of society. We nurture, and give. Self-care including upgrading unmentionables should include those ladies who have had children, are over the age of 16, and detest the idea of squeezing into anything. I have earned my belly fair and square with each child. My body has served me well, and my clothes and underclothes should represent the pride I have. I am not a size 7, but I care about my health and body.
I wandered around Victoria’s Secret trying to figure out how to spend my gift certificate in your romantic store. I began to feel icky, like I did not belong there. I acquiesced and grabbed a few things that appealed to my senses. Overall, it was a good experience because I know I am not the only one who has felt those icky feelings. Imagine how men feel believing that gals are supposed to look like a Victoria’s Secret model? I bet it is an awkward situation when they run into your store at Christmas and Valentines to get some delightsome gifts and they describe their significant other’s size? Unless you’re Adam Lavine, most should be turned away because your store does not have their special lady’s size.
It is no secret. The truth is out. Self-image is low around here in the real world. Concepts of the body have been skewed. Yet, I know another secret. I am made in the image of God. That means I am perfectly and wonderfully made. So are you.
- Holly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I WILL NOT QUIT

Talking to kids about Drugs

I told my son, "Screw you."